Kenneth's Story

Kenneth using a walker to step up onto a wooden platform duing therapy.

Kenneth Moran, a 60-year-old financial professional from New Orleans, was living with his mom in Mississippi since the COVID-19 pandemic began. In his spare time, Kenneth was an active bike rider until a serious accident left him wondering if he’d ever be able to get back on his bike.

One day, while parking his car, he accidentally put it in neutral instead of park. When he got out, he fell and the car rolled over his hip, shattering his bones. He was taken by ambulance to Memorial Hospital in Gulfport, LA, where he underwent two surgeries to repair the damage.

Once he recovered enough to begin therapy, it was recommended by his care team that he consider Northshore Rehabilitation Hospital for the next step.

Fearing he wouldn’t walk again, Kenneth was determined to put in the work and meet his goals. First, he wanted to regain full mobility, and second, he planned to return to work.  Above all, he didn’t want to be a burden to his family and friends. Kenneth knew it was going to be hard, but he knew if he applied himself he would get better.

Upon admission, Kenneth required assistance to stand and walk due to weakness and pain from his injury. He also needed help bathing and getting dressed.

In physical therapy, Kenneth performed various exercises for his legs to increase strength and endurance that would allow him to stand and eventually walk again on his own. Through hands-on training, Kenneth increased his walking distance from 112 feet to 500 using a rolling walker. Kenneth knew he hit a turning point when he was able to use the walker and go to the bathroom by himself.

In occupational therapy, Kenneth worked on his ability to dress and bathe independently through practice and training. Therapists showed him how to use a leg lifter which allowed him to more easily get in and out of bed. He was also trained to use a dressing stick, sock aide, reacher tool and elastic shoe laces, all of which allowed him to be more independent while dressing.

In addition, the care team provided a great deal of emotional support, as did Kenneth’s 84-year-old mother who cheered him on every step of the way.

After eight days at the rehabilitation hospital, Kenneth was ready to go home. He was able to get in and out of bed, use a walker and do other activities of daily living with independence. “The progress I’ve made has been unbelievable,” said Kenneth. He knows he has a long way to go, but he’s confident he’ll regain his mobility, which he initially thought might not return after his injury.

Kenneth was a little bit fearful leaving the hospital and not having the care team around to help. He knows they made all the difference in his recovery. “If you have a serious injury, go to a rehabilitation hospital,” said Kenneth. “If I would have tried to do this on my own, I would be so much further behind than where I am now. I’m not even sure I would have ever been able to have a full recovery.”

Kenneth is looking forward to the freedom that comes with returning home to his normal activities – and eventually getting back to work, and on his bike again. He will also continue with outpatient therapy to continue building strength.